New to the Walk?
No parent can ever be prepared to learn that their child has type 1 diabetes (T1D). A T1D diagnosis can often feel incredibly overwhelming and isolating. But it doesn’t have to be that way.
By attending the Sun Life Walk to Cure Diabetes for JDRF, your family will have the chance to connect with the T1D community in your area, meet other T1D families, and share experiences with others who “just get it”. Most importantly, the Walk provides an opportunity for kids to meet other kids living with T1D, and maybe even make a “diabuddy” to help them feel less alone on their journey with T1D.
What You Need to Know About Your First Walk:
- We encourage families to register as a Team, inviting friends and other family members to join in support.
- Teams often create their own T-Shirts, proudly wearing these to the event.
- Depending on your community, the Walk varies between 3-5km.
- Most Walk sites will provide options for light refreshments or to purchase food. You can also BYOP – Bring Your Own Picnic – and make a fun, family day out of the event.
- We Walk rain or shine so check the weather forecast ahead and be prepared any inclement weather.
- First time as a Team Captain? Check out our Team Captain Guide to help you understand this critical role.
Ongoing Supports Offered by JDRF
JDRF is here for you. Whether it’s helping you navigate a new T1D diagnosis, providing resources on managing life with T1D or connecting you with members of the T1D community who share similar experiences – JDRF wants to make sure you never feel alone.